Monday 9 November 2009

Malay and Indonesian Terminology




Hello
I was written an offensive and angry comment from a gentlemen from, I guess Indonesia regarding the spelling of Malay and Indonesian words used on my blog recently in my article "Weapons of Pencak Silat".
I wont mention names , Im not that petty and to be honest the comment was so angry and offensive that I wont warrant him a personal reply.

So instead, in response I thought I would just state for the record that the terminology I use comes from either my Guru (Who is not of Malay or Indonesian decenthimself, but as studied under Gurus of both) or from my relentless research on the subjects I write about.

Whilst I currently study Cimande which is from West Java, Indonesia; where I sadly do not have the Indonesian word, (which can anyway in spelling from region to region), I had /have chosen to use the colloquial Malaysian word, hence the slight difference in some spellings for example "Kuching" (Malay for Cat) I wrote "Kuchin"! "Kucing" in Indonesian same root word.

So because I missed a "g" of the end I got a page full of racist abuse!
Second example I wrote "Sawa" for Python he said it should be Sawa"h" in Indonesian
One letter missing a page full of hate!

I use Malay for a number of reasons , one that its a LOT easier to find Malay spellings than Indonesian ones and secondly its a more widly spoken lanaguage in South East Asian than Indonesian and so , my hope was to use this as a "Lingua Franca" so that more people would understand the spelling.

I do apologise for any offence caused to anyone from Indonesia, I hope that unlike the person that wrote to me, you will understand the Content of my writing and I hope this is more important than the mis-spelling of some words.

Im sadly not South East Asian, and here in the Western World those , like me who love the cultures both Malay and Indonesian, that birthed these beautiful arts must take what we can glean from many sources, as South East Asians can (Not allways, but some can) be unwilling to share their wonderful art, especially to non Muslims.

I hope this clears the subject up, so please if you are reading from Indonesia or Malaysia and spot an error, made not in offence, but through lack of native culture please point it out, and except my apologises in advance, Im human and make mistakes just like everyone elseregardless of origin.
Again,there's no need to get angry and spout abuse, Im trying to share and learn about your beautiful culture, so we should be treated at least, with some modicum of respect.

And to the gentlemen who wrote me, if you want to re-comment in a less angry, offensive and racist manner, with your corrections I will of course be happy to ammend them.
Anger is whats tearing this wonderful art and more to the point,this beautiful world apart. lets stop it and help eachother learn together.

Till next time.
Thanks =)

Many thanks.

No comments: